Advantages of hydroponic vegetable production
- Hydroponically produced vegetables can be of high quality and need little washing.
- Soil preparation and weeding is reduced or eliminated.
- It is possible to produce very high yields of vegetables on a small area because an environment optimal for plant growth is created. All the nutrients and water that the plants need, are available at all times.
- One does not need good soil to grow vegetables.
- Water is used efficiently.
- Pollution of soil with unused nutrients is greatly reduced
Hydroponics means plants working (growing) in water.
The word ‘hydroponics’ is derived from two Greek words: ‘hydro’ – meaning water, and ‘ponos’ – meaning labour.
A modern definition of hydroponics: A system where plants are grown in growth media other than natural soil. All the nutrients are dissolved in the irrigation water and are supplied at a regular basis to plants.